What's new
Nucleus Boards

Hello Guest! Welcome to Nucleus. Right now, you are not logged in or registered with us. If you sign up to our site you gain access to lots of awesome features and become a part of an awesome & growing community. Why not sign up today?

Favorite Forum Software?

Smokey

Founder/C.E.O.
Administrator
What's your favorite forum software?

For me, I'm a big fan of Xenforo when it comes to paid/commercial software. For free software, I like phpBB and ZetaBoards. MyBB can be nice if it's customized properly as well. :)

Megan

I myself have nearly always used phpBB. Since then have used it for YEARS. I thought here and there about switching, but I'm comfortable and used to how it works, and honestly still love it.

Smokey

Founder/C.E.O.
Administrator
Well ZetaBoards is no more and having used MyBB for the better part of a month, it's slowly growing on me. I was considering phpBB as well but ultimately decided to give  MyBB a shot and so far i'm pretty satisfied with the outcome. :)

I tried phpBB and liked it, but it didn't have an arcade plugin so I had to write my own.  Then I found myBB with Starpaul20's great arcade plugin which is much better than what I wrote, so myBB it is. :)   Xenforo is far superior but who has that kind of money to pay for all the add-ons?

Smokey

Founder/C.E.O.
Administrator
I love Xenforo 1, but the sad truth is, it's approaching it's EOL.....and XF2 and it's upgrades were just too expensive, hence why we moved to MyBB. :)

I once loved ProBoards until I found Zetaboards.  I attempted to go back to ProBoards after the much disdained announcement of Zetaboards' impending merge with Tapatalk.  That was a little more difficult than originally thought.  So I came to MyBB via IcyBoards.  I have to admit, it's growing on me as well.  I'm getting used to the Admin CP which is more detailed than both ProBoards and Zetaboards combined.  It's a challenge, but I'd rather have this challenge than to be merge with an app that by word of mouth, has been called "Tapacrap".

Just saying.  MyBB/IcyBoards!

Kyng

The Last Outlaw said:
Just saying.  MyBB/IcyBoards!
I'd love to echo this - but, sadly, that's not an option any more :(

So, self-hosted MyBB it is, I guess!

phpBB is probably far ahead of myBB nowadays (never used to be the case), but since they worked out a proper plugin system and have responsive themes and alerts in the core, it is more advanced than the slow developing myBB. That said, I still have a soft spot for myBB so choose that. Hopefully it catches up over the next couple of years or else I will have a hard decision to make. I love Xenforo also, probably would have gone with that but it seems XF 2 doesn't have the plugin/theme support needed to make it worthwhile just yet, needs a few more options before I look into it.

Smokey

Founder/C.E.O.
Administrator
Martin said:
phpBB is probably far ahead of myBB nowadays (never used to be the case), but since they worked out a proper plugin system and have responsive themes and alerts in the core, it is more advanced than the slow developing myBB. That said, I still have a soft spot for myBB so choose that. Hopefully it catches up over the next couple of years or else I will have a hard decision to make. I love Xenforo also, probably would have gone with that but it seems XF 2 doesn't have the plugin/theme support needed to make it worthwhile just yet, needs a few more options before I look into it.
I agree. Definitely something to consider if MyBB doesn't pick up speed. :)

Ash

In terms of paid forum software, it has to be XenForo. It's a beautiful software with an amazing collection of themes and plugins. And in terms of free ones, it has to be Mybb. No other free forum software comes close to how good Mybb is.

queenzelda

Personally if I were to go with a paid alternate, I like the way Invision handles. But since I'm liek dirt poor, I've found that mybb & phpbb are still among my favorite free forum software.

zetaboards was a favorite too, but now it's going to be lost to the ages due to TT taking it over. :/ ​

Jayson

I prefer XenForo and MyBB and have them for my forums.  However, I don't dislike other brands with a few exceptions.  For instance, IPB's quoting feature I don't like and also I've seen major problems with vBulletin.  However, though, that situation could be because the owner hasn't installed/maintained things correctly.

I'm very strongly biased but I'll post anyway - MyBB.

There are good reasons why I have such faith in MyBB however. Compared to most other forum platforms none are nearly as customizable and flexible as MyBB. Even on a low or non-existent budget you can still install a nice theme and some plugins and have a fairly good looking and unique forum in a matter of minutes. On the other hand some people invest hundreds of dollars into custom themes and plugins and from my experience it really pays off.

Some of the largest, most successful forums have been built with MyBB and it's because of the unique style and features they've been able to create using the extensive theme and plugin system.

As far as forum software goes, MyBB is probably somewhere in the middle when it comes to performance and features out of the box, but the plugin system is what really makes it shine IMO.

Jayson

I wish I knew how to move between software like some of you all.  However, as it stands, once I choose a software I have to stay there.  I guess that can be good in a way.